Monday, September 7, 2009

JOY

On Saturday I witnessed true joy. It was amazing because it occurred in two separate events and I actually got to feel it. What's it feel like? It feels like a rush of excitement that takes over your entire being. It makes you smile and can sometimes leave you with tears in your eyes. This is what it feels like to me anyway.

The first moment of joy came at the end of my 2.59 mile race. With less than 100 meters to go, I spotted my son and daughter at the end, waiting for me. At that moment I was pulling with my arms and hoping the my stride was long and strong. And then I stopped thinking all together. I heard two little voices, yelling, "GO MOM!" I just smiled and ran. Out of the corner of my eye I saw them, running along side of me, trying to keep up. As I walked away from the finish line, I found them. All bubbly and proud. "We ran with you," they said in unison, just before nearly knocking me over with a full blown hug. JOY!

The second moment came at the football game. Not a pro game. Not a college or high school game either. This team is called the Jr. Sophomores and is made of players between 9-12 years old. Our quarterback threw a pass from the 30 yard line into the end zone, where his receiver caught it and stepped in to make the touchdown. It seemed like slow motion as soon as the ball left the quarterback's hand. He stopped and just watched the ball fly. As soon as it hit the target, real time caught up with the moment, and the quarterback jumped up and threw a huge punch in the air. His face guard hid his expression, but it showed in this body action. That felt good! More joy!

There are so many wonderful moments in a day. I think that often I get too tangled in my own world and miss them. However, when I do catch one, these small moments have an impact on me and remind me of what is important. It's all about catching life happen around you and celebrating it. Embrace the joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment