Monday, March 22, 2010

10 Marathon Moments


1) I ran my first marathon 11 months after my daughter was born, we trained everyday from the day she turned 5 weeks. At 13.1 miles I had a small break down; the thought of finishing was overwhelming and I knew I could do it.


2)It was the windiest marathon ever recorded! A girl running next to me actually fell over the rail on the side of the highway. Thankfully it wasn't a long drop, and when I stopped to help her back up she pulled out her phone and with a laugh said, "Keep going, I'm done."


3)I tweaked my knee in my second marathon. I stopped at the 16 mile medic station and actually thought about quitting. It was my slowest marathon, but the finish line was one of my finest moments.


4)Having someone at the finish line to hold you up and let you cry with relief is sometimes a necessity.


5)Running beside a barefoot guy carrying a surf board for 17 miles must have done something to my mind... we took a beer bong hit and high fived before running on and separating at 18.


6)I waited for four hours (at the end of the San Diego Rock n' Roll), after finishing my third marathon, waiting for my mom to finish her first marathon. The rest of the weekend was spent sun burned and happy!


7)Eight weeks pregnant for Honolulu, I felt inspired to be starting this marathon with a baby on board, with surprising energy.


8)With my fastest half behind me, I ran past the medic station at mile 15 and twisted my knee again in San Diego! At mile 16, I turned around and ran back to get the knee checked out. Nine minutes later I was back on the course and found the strength to finish my fifth marathon.


9)A PR! Running 27.2 miles, with a 9 minute ice break, I missed Boston Qualifier by 1 minute and 6 seconds.


10)Even after 7 marathons, it still surprises me that there is 6.2 miles left to run at the 20 mile mark!


No comments:

Post a Comment