Tuesday, October 13, 2009

One Moment and a couple of Positive Thoughts...

The nice thing about running, is that all you need are a pair of shoes and you can just go. Follow a road, a trail, or the track. Pave your path. It's free. It's yours.

The nice thing about the gym is that, if you go regularly, you have people. You may never get close to most of these individuals, but you have the workout in common. That is a good motivational tool. Get in there! Laugh, sweat, catch up and then go on with your day feeling like you're pumped up! A "see you tomorrow" is a great verbal contract that almost guarantees that you will make it back the next day. It's only hard to get started... but it is addicting!

Here is my moment of the day:

Today it was blustery out. The cool, Autumn air has certainly hit Seattle. Rain drops fell for a little while. It wasn't bad, just kind of gray. Outside, under the color of the afternoon sky, I took a walk. My umbrella protected me from the raindrops. My sweater stopped the windy swoops. And I looked up. The leaves on the trees have finally changed. It seems like it happened overnight. One of the trees had leaves of pale, yellow green, another bright, pinkish-orange, and then there was the yellow. Bright and happy against such a palate that should seem dull, but today was full of movement and energy. It was beautiful and refreshing. It was nature. I can't change it, wouldn't want to, just have to appreciate it.

In the distance a plastic grocery bag danced in the wind. I watched it for a moment and let it take me back to the movie, American Beauty. Before that movie, I would never have considered watching an object blow in the wind. A different kind of beauty, just garbage that has run into nature.

We run during the day. Sometimes not pausing for a second to breathe. You have to breathe, otherwise, you are missing it. Look around. Working hard will get you where you need to be, yes, but what's it worth if you miss everything around you? I suggest a walk alone. Not a run. My walk was only 5 minutes long, and in this 5 minutes I found a calm that carried me through the rest of the day.

Fall is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment