Tuesday, November 16, 2010

One Year of Networking

Amazing is the only word I can use to describe the support out there for small business owners and woman entreprenuers. Networking, though hard sometimes to force myself to do (because I so easily work by myself), has been a huge asset to my little company.

It's been one year since I first launched my company, Bloomsies. (Happy Anniversary to the Blooms!) I remember laying in bed and thinking how it was all going to work out. I wondered if there was a market for my little bouquets. I was nervous that it wouldn't take off, that Bloomsies would fail right away? Would people get it? But then, I was nervous that it would take off too. What if I was too busy, too soon, and I couldn't keep up with the demand? How was my pricing? Is the product good enough? Should I make it better? What about shipping? Is it to expensive? What about money, did I have enough to begin a company or should I get a loan? Did I have time to give this company what it needed to grow? I felt like Alice in Wonderland; big, small, confused, unsure, confident, and not so much. The questions of the unknown mixed with the full spectrum of emotions that had taken over my being, they kept me up at night... and they still do.

I decided to reach out. I found Ladies Who Launch and Facebook.

How I found Ladies Who Launch is a funny story, really. My girlfriend had handed me a brochure the summer before while we were walking through downtown Snohomish, and I had kept it in my portfolio of business cards, mainly because it was pink and white polka-dots and I had quickly read it as "Ladies Who Lunch." (My favorite color is pink, I love polka-dots, and I wondered why ladies, who didn't know eachother, would want to meet for lunch.) In November I came across the brochure once more, and took a closer look. That night, I set up my Facebook account, started developing a website, and I goggled Ladies Who Launch. In January, I finally made it to my first LWL meeting, finding the women in this networking group to be both engaging and inspiring. With new-found support and wisdom from the women around me, I no longer felt alone and scared, but for the first time, was feeling like I was part of a team.

In January, I joined the Snohomish Wedding Guild. Then with my Valentine's launch on Etsy, February brought a suprise write up on Bloomsies. Followed by more LWL meetings, and in March, Bloomsies had finished runner up in a radio contest that was celebrating woman and small business. Bloomsies made its debut in the Seattle Women's Show and then had a good showing at a show in Snohomish. I hired a business consultant and started working on my online presence. In July, Bloomsies celebrated 600 fans on Facebook! All this while finding BNI and so many other networking groups in the Seattle area. It has been a wonderful year of growth.

At the beginning of Bloomsies are my friends Erik and Alyssa. My support team who helped me in realizing my goals and actually kept me on track while I was launching Bloomsies. Then there are the women I have met through Ladies Who Launch, whose successes encourage me to stay focused and work hard everyday...even though my life has taken on a busy that leaves little extra time to attend meetings. There are my friends and family who continue to cheer me on, and then there is me. Often I am my own road block, and I find it hard to network or reach out to that support. Even though, throughout the year, my most successful months have been when I was out there... networking.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Find Bloomsies on Etsy at http://bloomsies.etsy.com/ or at http://www.itsbloomsies.weebly.com/

1 comment:

  1. I have considered a franchise opportunity for my first business start up for a while now. I have so many questions though and all the franchise heads see to promise extravagant things. Should I be so trusting?

    ReplyDelete