Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Summer Vacation

While working on a Bloomsie for a mom-to-be on my son's baseball team, I started thinking how with the end of this season, summer is here. Wow, a school year flies! Imagine it. We start in August with school supplies and new clothes. The sleepless night filled with anticipation before the first day back to school finally arrives. The backpack is packed with labeled goods, the first day outfit is laid out on the end of the bed, new lunch boxes sit quietly in the kitchen ready to be filled with the first of--what?--180 lunches?!! Tomorrow promises to be a day of smiles...we get to see our friends again! We are tan (hopefully) and excited for routine to begin again.



I did say "We." The first day back is not just for the kids. As an active mom involved in the PTA, classroom and library, I am just as ready to see my friends too! No, its not that I want to get rid of the kiddos for six hours a day so that I can catch up on my work once again, or get into a regular workout schedule, or simply take in some silence (although these may factor into my excitement to some extent), rather it is that I love to see everyone again. But now I've gotten ahead of myself. I was talking about the quickly approaching summer vacation.



There are three things that I know we will be doing this summer. A short trip to the East coast to visit family, a lot of playtime, and volunteer work. Emphasis on the VOLUNTEER work. We haven't decided on what volunteering the kids and I will be participating in yet, but the opportunities are endless online which is very thrilling. I failed to plan any camps for the long summer days and after the last few afternoons with fighting kids, I am almost regretting my procrastination. Almost! Secretly I have devised a plan to keep them busy, having fun and learning without knowing it. Ha ha! Whether it is working with Habitat for Humanity, the local library, or creating our own Kids Care Club, my kids will be will be learning that they can make a difference. I can't wait to see where this summer adventure takes us, but I'll keep you posted.



Let the routine with flip flops and sun screen begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment